Friday, June 12, 2009

Some of the Work I've Been Doing

I'm obviously not going to discuss any specifics here, but I thought I'd share some thoughts on what I've been working on. Just in general terms, of course.

I've actually worked on a few personal injury cases here. My work has usually entailed reading the file and writing letters to people. If it's a letter to opposing counsel (see how professional I sound?!), it's usually to say why they were wrong in their previous letter. If it's a letter to a client, it's usually to update them on the case, let them know where we stand. The really fun ones are the letters to opposing counsel.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I really enjoy taking someone's argument, thinking about it, and then poking holes in it. It's not that I want to be mean. Rather, I just like the mental exercise of trying to find different ways to look at things. On one personal injury case (PI, as we say), I've gotten to spend a good amount of time formulating some ideas and arguing them. My favorite part is when I get to write "your client's denial notwithstanding, they are still liable because a, b, c". And it's really fun when they've cited a case that I can go through and say why it either 1) doesn't apply, or 2) actually helps us! It's all about how you frame the issue.

Though, I do have to admit that looking at pictures and medical reports of injuries is a little rough. Luckily, most of them aren't too graphic.

And I'll also admit that sometimes, even though my first reaction is "why is this person suing?", after thinking about it, it's usually the case that there kind of a valid reason. I mean, when someone is injured, there's gotta be someone paying the costs; hospital, lost wages, pain and suffering (though I'm not too happy about those, to tell you the truth. But money is the only way we (society) can compensate someone, so we just try our best). And the fact is, usually someone did something wrong. Driving recklessly, not providing safety devices to workers and demanding they still work. If someone has been injured, really through no fault of their own, why should they be stuck with the bills?

I agree that there's too much litigation going on. But the fact is, unless we allow people access to the courts, there will be so many people with no recourse when they've really been wronged. It's a pretty inefficient and bad system we've got, but it's better than the alternatives.

The view from the inside is pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment