Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sapporo TV Tower

Against my better judgment, today I took the elevator to the observation deck of the Sapporo TV Tower.  It's only 90 meters (what's that, like...  half a mile?), but I am not a fan of heights.  Do.  Not.  Like.  However, brave soul that I am, and for the sake of posterity, I steeled my nerves and joined the brave children and school girls on the ride to the top.  I put on the brave face for my fellow cosmonauts, but inside I was thinking "you know, now would be the perfect time for a tremor."  Luckily for all of us, no tremor.

Sapporo is a very well laid out city, bounded by mountains, and with long straight avenues for great sight lines.

For some reason, I was holding the camera at a weird angle.  Whatever.






















Surrounded by mountains.

















I like how the Odori parkway runs up to the mountains in the distance.


















Trying to get a shot of the mountains on the other side of the city. 

















Walking back to the hotel, I came across a little demonstration.  This interested me because of the Japanese flags.  The thing is, I haven't seen many (if any) Japanese flags.  Coming from the states, where we've gone flag crazy the last ten years, this is kind of noticeable (every frigging delivery truck or small business vehicle has to loudly proclaim their patriotism.  If you need to yell it out all the time...)

















Walking a little closer (I was taking a left on that road), I was wondering if it was a right-wing yakuza (I'm not capitalizing that) demonstration.  Seemed pretty innocuous, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment