Friday, July 3, 2009

Some New Tunes

Well, I bought a couple of CDs today, both of which are really good.

First up, I bought a Puffy AmuYumi Japanese import (to Hong Kong, obviously), "Hit & Fun". Like all Puffy albums, there's a lot of overlap with their older albums, but the new songs are all really good. I'm pretty sure it's a compilation, but there weren't a lot of Puffy albums at the store, and I took the chance that I'd get some new stuff (hey, it's in Japanese. How can I tell what's on there?) My general rule is that it's ok to take a chance on a Puffy album.

Next is the new Green Day album, "21st Century Breakdown". I'm listening to it right now and I'm gonna give it a big thumbs UP. I personally think "Dookie" is one of the best rock albums I've ever heard. While I don't like the new stuff as much as "Dookie", it's still pretty awesome. I actually never got "American Idiot" because I'm an uber-patriot, but I've heard a few really good songs off that album (I also think I saw them on that tour. Rezek/Joslin, is that right?) Anyway, the new stuff is really good. Compelling story, typically good production, and excellent songwriting. Good stuff.

Man, this last month, being guitarless, has sucked pretty hard (it's been good otherwise. I just really want a guitar to play.) I asked a friend if Hong Kong music stores (there's actually really only 1) let you return stuff within 30 days. He seemed surprised at the question and said he'd never heard of that. Too bad. I thought I should just buy something and return it before I leave. You know, like I do at home all the time. What? Don't look at me like that. Sadly, no guitar this whole month. And I'm miserable because of it!

UPDATE: I've listened to "21st Century Breakdown" a few times today and it just gets better and better. This is one of those albums that really touches me. I may like this album more than I like "Dookie".

No comments:

Post a Comment